
Dating Horror Stories: Episode 1-Internet Dating
So occasionally I will go on LDSlinkup to meet new people and find some dates. I haven't had much romantic success with it, but I have made some cool friends so every few months or so I'll get on and see who I meet. Well, this last time has me seriously considering canceling my account.
Let's meet Justin. Profile seemed ok, looked cute, normal and he was a year older than me. (A rarity here in Utah) We exchanged a few e-mails and decided we should meet. I gave him my number and he called me. Now after that phone call I wasn't very impressed. He really didn't seem like my type, but let's be honest, going after my type has thus far gotten me nowhere. So I thought I should branch out a bit and give him a try.
He texted me the next day to figure out what we should do. It was the day of the huge snowstorm so outdoor activites were out. He finally suggested dinner and a movie. Kind of a boring choice, but whatever. Later that afternoon he texted me again. (I have come to really loathe texting in dating.) He had a trade show to go to but he would call me after and we could get dessert. Oh yeah, and could I please text a picture to his phone? A weird request, but I thought maybe he wanted it so he would recognize me when we met up. I mean he already saw the three pictures I had posted, but again whatever. I'm trying not to be too nitpicky. So I had to take a picture, on my cellphone, by myself and send it. Not the best thing ever, but come on, it's a cellphone camera. Right after I send it he calls and starts asking what we should do tonight. Conversation goes as follows (my thoughts in parentheses):
Me: I thought we were getting dessert. (We already decided this right)
Him: Yeah, too bad there's not much to do on a snowy day. It's perfect cuddling weather.
Me: Haha, yeah I guess. (Ummm, weird)
Him: Well, do you want to just do that instead?
Me: You mean cuddle? (CREEP! I've never even met you!)
Him: Yeah
Me: No, I think it's a little early for that. (There's no way I'm going out with this guy.)
Him: Ok, well I'll call you after the trade show. (Hangs up)
So I've made the decision to not go. But I had a feeling he wouldn't call back. And I was right. He did text me to say that he didn't feel like going out tonight. Maybe next week. I told him maybe we should just forget about it. Now that would be fine, except for the e-mail he sent 5 minutes later. He said "not to be rude" but the cellphone picture didn't match my profile pictures and that worried him. I politely responded that his suggestion to cuddle was WAY creepy and that it's ok if we don't ever meet.
The nerve right? He could have just left it as we won't meet, but then he went and tried to make me feel bad about my picture. Or insinuate that I was lying or something, like I did something wrong. It makes me loose hope in the whole internet dating thing, if guys are on there just to find physical affection. Could be I'm naive, but I guess I just expected more out of Mormon guys. Back to real world dating for me. There's enought creeps to sort through there without adding more.

i think that you mad the right choice to not go out with the guy. he sounds kinda creepy, you're right. are you still at apx??? hope you're doing well. check out my blog sometime.
ReplyDeletewww.labonavita.blogspot.com
Can I just say that I LOVE the picture thatyou put up there??? :) This is Tiffany, not Mark.
ReplyDeleteOh weird!! I am glad that you didn't go out with creepy guy.
ReplyDelete