Bleak House
As promised, (and a lot sooner than I thought I would get to it) here are some of my thoughts on the books I've read recently. Caution: There may be spoilers in this, but I'm not going to keep track. Consider yourself warned.I'll start with Bleak House by Charles Dickens. I read this one a few months ago so the details are foggy. And by "read" I mean "listened to on CD while at work." But I think a true testament of a good book is what you remember after the reading (listening) is done. Two main concepts stuck with me. The first is of the two cousins that were waiting to inherit the money in the lawsuit. The background is that there is this extensive estate that has been in the court system for decades. There are different versions of the will being contested and several people hope to benefit, depending which will is found to be legal. The cousins were born during these legal proceedings. They lead fairly good and comfortable lives as wards of the state, and don't really concern themselves with the will. They fall in love. The girl cousin is said to be so sweet and so beautiful that one could not help fall in love with her. (Which by the way often irks me about writings in this time period. They always have the "perfect girl" who is so even tempered and so good and pampered that she is almost treated like a doll instead of a human being). The boy cousin keeps pushing back the wedding date until the lawsuit is settled, because then all his problems will be solved and they can start there family in comfort with no need to worry about finances or a job. He's already bounced around to several careers and found them unsuitable for his temperament. He becomes so obsessed with the lawsuit, going to every court appearance, poring over documents, using his already meager funds to hire a lawyer of his own, that he lets the rest of his life fall to the wayside. The silly girl marries him anyways when she realizes he can't take care of himself anymore. And here's the point that has stuck with me: He has everything he wanted out of life, the beautiful girl, a home, a child on the way, and outside relatives who love him and support him and yet he continually remains focused on the future. And as a result he loses everything.
It makes me wonder how often I say to myself, "Oh, I'll be happy when..." instead of learning to appreciate the wonderful things I have now. Sure, life can be difficult. But I will always have trials regardless of how much money I have, or whether I'm no longer single. I can't pin my happiness on future events which are unknown and uncertain. Learning to be happy and content in the moment I'm in is a great goal. It doesn't mean to stop progressing, learning, or pressing forward, but it does mean to appreciate the experiences and things that make my existence great NOW. Happiness isn't always around the next corner, it's happening in my life in this very moment and I just need to realize it and embrace it with both arms.
The second point that made me think (and I have far less defined thoughts about this one, so I would definitely appreciate other's input) is about the main character. She was taken from a bad situation into a good one. Given love by a father figure and found siblings in the two cousins. She, also being responsible was very nurturing and given the nickname "Mother" by most who knew her. As she grew, lots of events happened and she grew very close to the man who took her in. Now we know throughout the book that she sees him more as a father than anything else, but eventually he proposes marriage to her and she accepts. She also is in love with another man, but believes him to be uninterested because of some unfortunate, and I think exaggerated in her mind, scarring that an illness left on her face. So she gives up the dream to follow the route of obligation and sensibility. And it makes me wonder, what is too much of a sacrifice? At what point should a person stop striving for the dream, no matter how unrealistic and pick the route that makes the most sense? Or should one never stop striving no matter how improbable? Fortunately things work out for the heroine in the end, but what if they didn't? She was ready to give up her dream out of gratefulness to a man that she loved as a father, but could never really love as a lover. At what point does security win out over hope for something better? When does the father say "Sure I wanted to be a rodeo clown, but this mind-numbing cubicle job pays the bills and provides for my family"? Or the unlucky in love person say, "Yeah, I wanted a guy who sparks that deep passion in my soul, but this man in front of me is maybe a bit dull, but good and honest and will provide"? Should the possibility of something that may or may not happen trump what's practical? This almost brings us back to the story of the two cousins. I don't have an answer to this.
Anyways, I love it when a book can really make me think and delve into my own consciousness to discover what I really value and believe. Charles Dickens is great for that. There are also many other characters and situations in this book that bring out many more issues. Like the mother who works so hard for her "causes" that she forgets to take care of her own family. Or the host of "missionaries" who only look the part and scold people for not being more Christian when they overlook the baby dying in the corner. Or the little boy who everyone comes in contact with, but no one notices until it is too late.
In summary, Bleak House was a fascinating read and definitely something I would recommend. But be warned, the book ends midsentance. Which I find

I think I'll strive to be a little more coherent in thought in my next post about a book. I just reread it and it doesn't make much sense...
ReplyDelete